First Day Letter from Mr. Runnett |
First Day Letter from Mr. Runnett
The staff and I are very excited to see the students come back to the school over these next few days. We’ve put together a few of the key things we want you to know.
First, a reminder about when your child should come to school:
- Kindergarten families: follow the staggered entry plan you received with your child’s letter in June.
- Families with Surnames from A to K*......... Sept. 1st, 3rd, 8th & 10th.
- Families with Surnames from L to Z* ……. Sept. 2nd, 4th, 9th & 10th.
- There will be no school on September 11th (September 25 will no longer be a PD day in exchange).
Second, please be aware our Chinook’s Edge Re-Entry Plan does not allow parents to enter the school for drop off and pick up:
- Students who will be walking or being driven to school are asked to arrive at the school between 8:25 and 8:35.
- For these staggered days, teachers will be waiting for you at a designated meeting spot on the grounds - staff will be there to help point you in the right direction.
- Teachers will greet the students and, when ready, classrooms will take turns entering the school (practicing our recess entry procedures to avoid crowded boot rooms).
- When students come in they will put their things away and sanitize their hands to start the day!
- Students may meet parents for pick up at the same location as the drop off in the morning. If you have arranged a different meeting location for your child please let your teacher know.
- Bus students will be escorted by an EA to their bus
- K, 1, 2 will be dismissed a little earlier.
- Gr 3, 4 will be dismissed shortly after.
Third, we have many things we will be doing in the classroom and around the school to help minimize risk.
In the Classroom
- Students will sanitize their hands every time they enter & leave the classroom.
- Grade 4 teachers will direct students when they are required to wear their masks and when they can be removed.
- Students are not to share supplies.
- Any shared technology (Chromebooks) will be sanitized after it is used. Students are able to bring their own device.
- Students will be distanced as much as possible.
- To allow for acceptable distancing we have divided our playground and will designate specific equipment to specific grades. Teachers will be able to take students outside at any time throughout the day (dress for the weather).
- Grade 4 students must wear their mask in the hall to exit the building.
- At this time, there will be no options for ordering hot lunch or milk. Communication will be sent as this changes.
- Students will be instructed to not share their food or utensils and asked to sanitize their hands before and after eating.
- Student recycling is prohibited at this time. Families wishing to recycle should plan for juice boxes or containers to return home.
- Microwaves will not be available for student use.
Finally, some things you can be doing at home to help, please.
- Click on this link daily for assessing your child’s health. It is critically important you keep your child home if they are showing any symptoms.
- You may wish to send a water bottle with your child; however, we do suggest keeping other personal items to a minimum as space within classrooms is limited.
- Take time to review with your children proper physical distancing, handwashing and respiratory etiquette procedures. If they are in grade 4, please practice wearing a mask. Grades K to 3 parents may choose to have their child wear a mask and our teachers will indicate moments in the day to wear a mask (if they have one), but we acknowledge this is not mandatory.
- Talk to your child about what to expect with adults wearing masks around the school. Classroom adults will wear a mask if they cannot be 2m from a student. When kids are seated and the staff member is 2m away, they may remove their mask to teach, putting it on again when they need to be closer than 2m.
- It is essential that you update the demographic form that will be coming to you electronically from CESD as soon as possible with parent and emergency contact information and any pre-existing condition information.
I can assure you that we have been working very hard to make sure the building and our protocols are as safe as possible. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Brent Runnett, Principal